<span class="highlight">Market</span> <span class="highlight">Direct</span> <span class="highlight">Campers</span>

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 08:49
ThreadID: 61546 Views:18357 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Has anyone had any exposure to this brand of camper trailer? Looks very cost effective but I'm not sure of the quality. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Corders
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 09:21

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 09:21
Are those the ones on Ebay from Brisbane going for $4500 to $5000?
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 324637

Reply By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:46

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:46
Ok, I'll assume its the ones being sold on Ebay.
I have a nephew in Perth who was looking at them, for approx $6000 to $6500 dropped in Perth (without options like kitchen, water tank etc), had a look for hime and sent this response.
Purely personal thoughts, and may be incorrect, don't rely on them, and don't blame me if you buy one or not based on these views.
He was looking at the Off Road version.

"I went and had a look at the Market Direct camper trailers today.

Overall, they look pretty good, but I haven’t done any comparisons with other new ones.

Some pictures on the web site seem to be of their NOT heavy Duty trailer, as the springs in the photo’s look like 5 leaf, but are really 7 leaf. Not real heavy duty, but look OK for the purpose, as too stiff can shake the crap out of anything in the trailer.

The water tank (optional) and some of the wiring to the tail lights are exposed, and subject to stone damage if used on rocky roads. The water tank could do with a metal barrier for protection, and the cabling should be put in conduit.

Water tank filler is held on by 2 small bolts, and the gas bottle holder is only riveted on, these would need stiffening.

The trailer is Aus made by trailersaustralia, but I haven’t done any search on them.

The tent section is Chinese, but looks OK, and only time will tell if the sewing is any good or if it leaks, but there are plenty of waterproofing compounds available.

The tent on display is large, and the set up includes clipping together a ladder style frame to hold up the roof from around 2.5 metres from the trailer to the extent of the room.

Not a big problem, but looks like about 14 pieces of tube with clips on each end, and a few poles, a bit fiddly, and would probably take a few minutes extra of set up time.

For overnite stops, a bit of a pain, but that is probably the cost of having a large room.

The optional gas stove, sink etc look pretty average, and for the price you could probably source better ones locally which would have a warranty.

The coupling as a standard quick release, no problems if you are not going over rough country, but you would need to replace it with a Treg Hitch or similar for serious off roading to prevent a tipping trailer from taking the vehicle with it.

The optional tool box is not real heavy duty, and you could add one yourself if they were cheaper in Perth.

Overall, these camper trailers look pretty useful, and if it goes cheap enough to justify the transport cost, you should have plenty of camping holidays out of it. If you got one, I’d check out any added options to make sure they are welded, as well as riveted or bolted.

There is no battery system, lights or 12 volt power connections, and this could cost a few hundred $ more to make life bearable, but if you do this, make sure you put a battery isolater in the car to stop the cranking battery going flat.

This company also imports Chinese motor bikes and quads, generators pumps, welders and cheap motorcycle leathers, as well as the trailers.

They have about 10 trailers in the carpark ready for pickup, and a fair size fabrication area. They seem pretty busy and could handle 1 per day easy."

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 324647

Follow Up By: Corders - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:26

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:26
Brushmarx,

Sorry I had to go to a meeting, yes that's the one. Thanks for the deatialed info. Did your nephew end up getting one?

Thanks,

Corders
FollowupID: 591751

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 13:39

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 13:39
Hi Corders
He hasn't decided yet, but is looking at a Perth CT maker who makes his own tent tops, and is impressed with the trailer and tent design and strength.
It would cost him a couple of Thou extra, but says it might be worth it for local warranty work if something was needed.
Cheers

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 591773

Sponsored Links